My First Play:
lol i guess its becoming obvious that i love to write stories.. Here is a play that I wrote last night for my performing arts teacher. Me and my friends performed it today in class and got a standing ovation.... I apologize for all of the cussing, I just wrote what I felt would help the audience best relate to the characters.Man (Adam Y. Edwards) : I am a man, I am on my deathbed, I’m the sole survivor of my family, the rest were killed in the collapse of the World Trade Center on September 11,2001, the only reason that I am still living is because I was recovering from a heck of a hangover that day and was to sick and tired that day to get to my father’s 67 birthday on time. They were on the top floor, in the restaurant in building number 1. Hah, where was there God then huh. All they wanted me to do was to meet them sober and on time at 7:30 to surprise dad. But no, I’m too much of a fuckup to even do that correctly, instead, as soon as I was recovered enough from my hangover I ran to the nearest bar and got stone cold drunk again, when they announced on the TV that the tower had been hit I was so drunk I thought I was watching an action movie. A little bit after that I went outside and passed out in a sloppy heap. I was soon awakened by the sound of sirens wailing, people screaming and firefighters rushing away from something, as I reached to rub my groggy eyes I noticed that they were covered in a thick dust. I began to throw up and cough from the fog, only to realize that it wasn’t fog I was inhaling, but in reality a fine cloud of floating dust and debris, I ran, filled with nothing but the urge to survive, when I finally got out of the dust, I curled up in a ball and slept. When I awoke the horrifying reality hit, me the world trade center had fallen somehow with my parents and family in it. The “movie” I had been watching had really been live footage of the plane hitting the buildings. Now for most people this depressing reality would have driven them into the arms of a close family member or to the doors of a church, but no not me, I had no family left and I wasn’t gonna go to no church. So instead I drowned it in the very thing that caused all of this mess for me in the first place, the bottle. My best friend and my worst enemy. I should be dead with my family, why the hell was I the one that survived and them the ones that died. They were the best people I had ever met, they never did anything wrong, they broke their backs to send me to a good private school even though I spat in their faces. They still loved me through all of the hell that I brought them through. It was at that moment in my life that I decided that I would kill myself and join my family wherever the hell I was. I figured if there was a God he either didn’t give a damn about me or he had turned his back on the world. I went to my parent’s house and in their master bathtub, slit my wrists with a piece of glass. When I woke up doctor, I was here with by wrists bandaged and a throbbing headache.
Doctor (Mariah
Huggins): Well you are in New York Mental Hospital in the Psychiatric Ward.
You were discovered soon after you slit your wrists by your parent’s next door
neighbor. They said that they heard someone in the house breaking things and
making a racket and thought it was a robber and went to investigate and found
you in the bathtub. We bandaged you,
brought you hear and place you on 24 hour suicide watch. I am your psychologist
while you are here and in order to help you I need to ask you a few questions.
Now why did you choose your parents house to commit suicide? Why not someon……
Man interrupts her...
Man (Adam Y. Edwards): It’s none of your business doctor, I have already told you much more than you need to know about me and I really don’t feel like talking anymore. I’m pissed off, depressed; my family just died somewhere I should have been. I really don’t feel like hearing your Goddamn psychoanalysis right now. Get the hell out of here and let go back to being depressed.
Man (Adam Y. Edwards): It’s none of your business doctor, I have already told you much more than you need to know about me and I really don’t feel like talking anymore. I’m pissed off, depressed; my family just died somewhere I should have been. I really don’t feel like hearing your Goddamn psychoanalysis right now. Get the hell out of here and let go back to being depressed.
Doctor( Mariah
Huggins): Have you ever thought about this, that maybe other people died in
this terrible crisis than your family. I don’t know if you have watched the new
in the past few days but thousands of people have died, they are saying that
this was worse than Pearl Harbor. I lost my husband in this crisis, do you
think I’m hurting, hell yea I am, but you don’t find me somewhere crying about
it. No instead I am here at this Goddamn hospital listening to you rambling on
about how horrible your life is… I know that most doctors don’t talk like this
to their patients but I’m sick of it, for the last half hour you have boo hoo’d
about yourself…. The world doesn’t revolve around you, nor are you the only one
hurting.
Man (Adam Y Edwards):
GET OUT OF HERE!!!!! NOW!!
Doctor (Mariah
Huggins): Sobs and leaves. Goes to
her office and watches him on a security camera.
Demons enter from opposite ends of stage
Demon 1 (Isaiah Thompson):Yes, kill yourself.
Demon 1 (Isaiah Thompson):Yes, kill yourself.
Demon 2: (Eric Perry):
Your worthless, you killed your family, you stupid diphthong.
Demon 1 (Isaiah
Thompson): God doesn’t exist
Demon 2: (Eric
Perry): God abandoned you
Demon 1 (Isaiah
Thompson): That doctor hates you.
Demon 2: (Eric
Perry): You’re a homeless man with no future, a crappy past, no money
whatsoever, and no life.
Demon 1 (Isaiah
Thompson): You’re a selfish, evil, drunken menace to society.
Demon 2: (Eric
Perry): You have the equivalent of a 5th grade education.
Demon 1 (Isaiah
Thompson): You’re a 37 year old man who has never held a job for more than
2 months in his life, the New York times named you New York’s drunkard, your
high school voted you least likely to succeed, you even failed the 9th
grade 4 times.
Demon 2: (Eric
Perry): You’ve been sent to jail twice.
Demon 1 (Isaiah
Thompson) and Demon 2 (Eric Perry): So kill yourself you worthless piece of
shit. You will just be doing the world a favor.
Man (Adam Y Edwards):
Grabs head, sinks to knees, knife
trembling in hand, screams in rage, raises the knife, stands up, swings the
knife downward towards his wrist…
Doctor (Mariah
Huggins): Sees him with knife in hand
on camera ,runs into room and places her own wrists in front of the knife, thus
sacrificing her life so he would live.
Man (Adam Y Edwards): Gasp’s in horror
Doctor (Mariah
Huggins): Remember, you always have something to live for. Even though it
may seem like there is no hope, God has a plan. Now go live your life. Doctor dies
Man (Adam Y Edwards):
Man screams out in pure, undefiled
anguish, WHY GOD, WHY HAVE YOU DONE THIS TO ME. Man slits his wrists and slowly bleeds out, thinking of his life and
the things that could have been done different.
2011 Adam Y Edwards ©
2011 Adam Y Edwards ©
No comments:
Post a Comment